The Gazette of 2nd February 1940 announced the acquisition of further provincial stores, as the Partnership took over the fledging group Selfridge Provincial Stores Limited (SPS). With the Second World War underway, and Britain an obvious target for enemy attack, previous owner Gordon Selfridge returned to America in a hurry. The Partnership stepped in and rather abruptly became 15 stores better off.
It was felt by Spedan that the SPS stores could secure the future of the Partnership, should the worst should happen to the London branches during the war. His theory would be tested and validated even sooner than he could have imagined.