W.J Buckley and Co. Ltd was a small department store in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. It was one of 15 other branches that joined the Partnership as a result of the acquisition of the Selfridge Provincial Stores Group (SPS) in 1940. Very little information on Buckleys is to be found in the archive principally because the shop lasted only 13 years in the Partnership before it was sold on. Therefore, if you have any further information or photographs of Buckleys during its years in the Partnership, please feel free to comment below.
Aquisition by the Partnership
Buckleys joined the Partnership in 1940. Having experienced a turnover of £77,552 in 1932, it was one of the Partnership’s weakest performing shops. It did however give the company further presence in the North of England. It also guaranteed the continuity of the Partnership throughout the War Years even if the worst should happen to the Partnership’s high profile shops. North Yorkshire was not at risk from enemy bombing. Rather, Harrogate was a popular site for inner-city evacuee’s to be sent. The atmosphere in the Partnership as a result of the acquisition of the SPS group, was resoundingly positive, both from new and existing Partners. This is expressed quite clearly in the letter below from William H. Mackie Manager, Furnishings Department at W.J. Buckley, writing to the Gazette of 11th May 1940.