The acquisition of the Selfridge Provincial Stores

A watershed moment

The Gazette of 2nd February 1940 announced the acquisition of further provincial stores, as the Partnership took over the fledging group Selfridge Provincial Stores Limited (SPS). With the Second World War underway, and Britain an obvious target for enemy attack, previous owner Gordon Selfridge returned to America in a hurry. The Partnership stepped in and rather abruptly became 15 stores better off.

Securing the future of the Partnership

It was felt by Spedan that the SPS stores could secure the future of the Partnership, should the worst should happen to the London branches during the war. His theory would be tested and validated even sooner than he could have imagined.

Page link: The acquisition of Thompsons
The acquisition of Thompsons
Peterborough store joins the Partnership
Page link: The acquisition of Jones Brothers, 1940
The acquisition of Jones Brothers, 1940
338-366 Holloway Road, North London
Page link: Aquisition and Wartime at Caleys
Aquisition and Wartime at Caleys
The smallest shop in the Partnership