These images belonged to Miss Joan Pratt who was the Registrar at Trewins for many years. We think Miss Pratt is in the top picture looking into the marquee with her back to the camera.
The annual Herts show was an opportunity for the shop to show off its newest items of stock. These pictures show new style bedroom and kitchen furniture including some Jonell beds.
The Jonell own brand was introduced in the 1930s and the final ‘e’ was added in 1956 for merchandise which was thought to be of a more ‘feminine nature’. By 1963 the original spelling was replaced with Jonelle on all own brand goods and this was a familiar sight in all Partnership shops until it was superceded by the John Lewis brand name in 2005.
The photographs were kindly donated to the John Lewis Archive by Miss Pratt’s niece, Linda Parry, in 2004.