Skip to content
Visit the John Lewis Partnership website
Visit our memory stores
Waitrose Memory Store
John Lewis Memory Store
John Lewis Partnership Memory Store
You are here:
See what's new
See what's new
John Barnes and Swiss Cottage
The New Hampstead Theatre Club
Distribution's move into the Brave New World
A new home for our Archive
A place by the River
New town, new Clearings
Gowns to Die For
The Elsley Court gown workroom
Big ticket hub at Milton Keynes
A relief centre The Northampton distribution centre opened on Monday 19th March 1990 with stock being transferred from the Stevenage warehouse, ...
The foundation of Odney Pottery Limited
Introduction Between the years 1942 and 1956, a pottery operated at Odney in Cookham, creating pots that were purchased for the ...
Gradual demise and sudden tragedy
Post-War highs The Post-War period was one of mixed fortunes for John Bew and his pottery. There were many successes to ...
The Colello lampshade factory, 1940-1978
Acquired by the Partnership Colello Ltd was set up to manufacture lampshades in 1925 by George a’Court Emberson with his own ...
A Partnership factory in Cornwall
Soldiering On with trade
Standing resolute The years after the war were testing for Knight and Lee. It is almost impossible to imagine how it ...
John Lewis Heathrow
The Partnership's first Airport Store
The early years of Herbert Parkinson
Acquired by the Partnership in 1953
Herbert Parkinson in recent years
Constantly adapting to meet requirements Herbert Parkinson has benefitted throughout from the backing of the Partnership, both financially and through the ...
A brief history of the John Lewis Head Offices
Introduction Today we are used to there only being three headquarter buildings in central London, 123 Victoria Street, Partnership Services, 171 Victoria Street, ...
One all encompassing building In June 1987, the announcement was made by the Gazette that John Lewis’ central offices, from which ...
The acquisition of JH Birtwistle, 1988
Expansion of textile production In summer 1998, the Partnership announced that it had acquired JH Birtwistle and Company Limited, a weaving ...
The Pre-Partnership history of JH Birtwistle
Birtwistle of Blackburn Birtwistle’s was founded in October 1892 by Jesse Hargreaves Birtwistle, an auctioneer and valuer based in the nearby ...
Decline and eventual closure in 2007
Saying goodbye to Birtwistle's
Oswald Lewis, Spedan’s brother and father of Peter Lewis, had a fragmented career in the Partnership, working in the Counting ...
Mrs Enid Locket
Another Oxford graduate and practising barrister, Enid Rosser (she married in 1944) joined the Partnership in 1933. She was the ...
Sir Michael (Metford) Watkins
After war service and Cambridge, Michael Watkins (he was knighted as Metford) initially taught at Westminster School. He joined the ...
The John Spedan Lewis Trust for the Advancement of the Natural Sciences
Founded in 1955 The John Spedan Lewis Trust for the Advancement of the Natural Sciences was founded by the Partnership in ...
See latest comments
You can also see a list of the latest comments added to the site.
View latest comments