Welwyn Stores: Hatfield
The Welwyn Stores had branches selling groceries and household provisions at Pear Tree, Woodhall and Hatfield but these were long closed by the time the John Lewis Partnership acquired the Bridge Road department store in 1983. This photograph is thought to have been taken outside the Welwyn Stores branch in the Broadway, Hatfield. It shows Mr A F Bray and his brother [Jim?]around February 1931. The shop is listed in the Kelly’s directories of 1931, 1933 and 1935 as Welwyn Sores (1929) Ltd. The notice in the window advertises dances at Bridge Hall Welwyn Garden City which was demolished in 1932 and stood next to the original Cherry Tree building.