Mr A E Rush, Mayor of Eastbourne from 1938 to 1943, bought the business of Vinall’s in 1919, by which time it had already been established for over 40 years. On the 19th December 1942, the rear of the premises was wrecked by a stick of bombs that fell across adjoining shops. Within four days Vinall’s re-opened on the opposite side of the street. Five weeks later, these premises were bomb-damaged and another move had to be made. On the 19th November 1942, Vinall’s moved back to its original premises.
The Partnership in Eastboune
In the Gazette of the 8th February 1947, the Partnership announced that it had acquired a shop in Eastbourne by the name of Vinall’s. The Partnership warmly welcomed its staff of about thirty, whose average length of service at that time stood at about ten years.
The shop was located at 129-131 Terminus Road, on a good site, with a frontage of about 50 feet. It sold Piece Goods, Haberdashery, Fashion Accessories, Soft Furnishing, Household Linen and Blankets, all typically John Lewis trade.
Vinall’s remained in the John Lewis Partnership until 1953, when it was sold as part of the company’s policy of rationalisation. Smaller business units which had not proved sufficiently profitable to be retained permanently were disposed of. Vinall’s was thought to be too small a shop in which Partnership policy could be correctly conducted. The shop’s location in a holiday resort meant was held to be the cause of erratic sale, and too many variants out of the business’s control.
The sale of Vinall’s was completed on the 29th August 1953, and the shop was acquired by Macartney Stewart Limited of Sussex.