Silk Shop Hull, the Partnership in the East Ride of Yorkshire
Smallest shop in the Partnership
In 1944, one year after the acquisition of the Silk Shops in Edinburgh and Newcastle, the Partnership announced that it had taken over the ‘lease and the goodwill’ of the Silk Shop Hull. The shop was the very smallest in the John Lewis Partnership; its frontage stretched to a mere eighteen feet. This would make it very difficult to apply a Partnership structure to the shop. Without a presence to speak of in Hull, and quite a distance from help, needless to say the management had quite a job on their hands. The one redeeming factor was that the shop was located right in the centre of the city, and so trade was anticipated to be relatively strong on a local level.
In all honesty, the problems laid out above were prevalent throughout the shop’s brief spell in the Partnership. The shop was just too small to implement sufficient Partnership policy, management and structure. And the takeover of Bainbridge made the shop surplus to requirements. It came as no surprise to anyone therefore, when the Partnership announced that it had sold Silk Shop Hull to Ellwood Silks Limited of Manchester on the 22nd August 1953.
Do you have a connection or a picture of Silk Shop, Hull? If so, we would love to know all about it!