The rebuilding project of the 1950's
The fortuitous yet insightful decision to move Tyrell and Green to Winchester really boosted the branch’s fortunes when it needed it most. In the year after the war, sales were in fact way above pre-war achievements. Tyrrell and Green was by no means the only shop to suffer as a result of the war. But other retailers continued to languish in the post-war years, whilst Tyrell and Green continued to stride forward.
A new permanent building becomes a neccessity
In 1948, the ground floor of a temporary building on the old site at Above Bar was opened for certain furnishing departments. There followed a number of other temporary building, confusing to say the least. However, by the early 1950’s, it became apparent that temporary premises would no longer suffice. Increased sales and the rebuilding and growth of competitors made a new, permanent building an absolute necessity. By 1954, the chance had finally arrived to begin construction of a permanent store, again on the bomb site.
Winchester branch closes
That same year, the Winchester branch closed, its services no longer required. The new building was set to be a highly modern structure, offering the very latest products, with the best facilities.