Expanding beyond London
The Gazette of the 8th February 1934 meekly announced that Tyrrell and Green Southampton had been acquired by the Partnership. The shop was one of a number of local department stores to be bought, and represented the Partnership’s desire to expand their name and reputation far beyond London. The fact that Tyrrell and Green had been chosen as one of the first provincial branches demonstrated firstly the quality of the shop and its popularity amongst locals, and secondly the absolute belief of the Partnership that the Southampton branch would be a success.
Adapting to Partnership life
There can be no doubt that in the years prior to the Second World War, the Southampton shop very much adapted to the Partnership way of life. Sales were strong, a number of departmental improvements had taken place, and the restaurant continued to be highly popular. In other aspects too, Tyrrell and Green fitted right in. Sports and social events were aplenty. The photo above shows a team from Southampton taking part in the ‘Mop Fighting’ event, during the 1939 Odney Rag Regatta.