Decline and Closure
Never fully recovered
Lance and Lance never properly recovered from the damage to its building caused by enemy action during World War II. Government bureaucracy and issues over licensing prevented the shop from reopening immediately after the bombing, and set the tone for the next ten years or so. Between the years 1947-1955, trade was conducted from the two extensions added to the original property after acquisition in 1933, too small a platform for the Partnership to properly implement it’s business operations.
Agreement for re-development never reached
Despite the brilliant effort of Weston Partners to get the business back on track following the bombing, no agreement could be reached between the Partnership and the planning authorities for a re-development of the entire shop. It remained this way until 1955. During that time the cost of building increased by 40%, meaning that if the Partnership went ahead with the build, they were at serious risk of operating at a loss upon opening. With this in mind, the understandable decision was made to close the shop. This was announced in the Gazette of the 14th January 1956, and on Saturday 4th February 1956, Lance and Lance ceased trading.
The Partnership returns to Weston-super-Mare
In 2008, the Partnership returned to Weston-super-Mare, after 52 years, when a Waitrose supermarket was opened in the town centre.