New Theatre for Hampstead
In December 1962 a new civic theatre at Swiss Cottage opened.
In 1959 the Hampstead Theatre Club was formed by Mr. James Roose-Evans, who was also the artistic director, as he wanted to provide Hampstead with its own live theatre.
The club quickly found supporters and a location- the Moreland Hall next to the old Everyman, which became a cinema.
The support of the Hampstead Borough Council led to to an ambitious project to build a new civic theatre.
A prefabricated timber building was built to seat 160 and a permanent company of actors was to be formed.
John Barnes lent one of its front display windows to help the organisers appeal for funds.
The citizens of Hampstead were asked to provide £10,000, which, with borough Council’s £7000, will complete the building and get the first season under way.
John Barnes “Buys” seats
The John Barnes Branch Council subscibed £100 which “bought” ten seats at £10 which gave the subscriber the right to have a name inscribed on a plaque fixed to the seat.