The first store of the Partnership outside of London
On the 28th March 1933, the John Lewis Partnership, which until this point had traded out of its two London based stores, agreed to take over Jessops of Nottingham, putting into actions their plans of expansion. Thusly, Jessops had the honour of being the first of the Partnership’s provincial stores.
Success prompts further investment
Partners were sent from London to Jessops to lend a hand in an attempt to turn around the shop’s fortunes. By the first year, turnover had already risen by 30%! As the world marched towards a second war, Jessops sales figures marched upwards, prompting further provincial stores to be taken over by the Partnership in following years.