In 1948, as London pulled itself back to its feet, Holdrons announced that it would like a Chronicle. The sombre tone of the Gazette announcement spoke volumes about the ongoing struggles in Britain despite the end of the war. Holdrons by this point was falling short of Partnership expectations, and time was running out.
The Sale of the Branch
In the Gazette of 11th December 1948, the sale of Holdrons was first muted, albeit in hushed terms.
The Partnership has received an offer for a Branch that we should not have chosen to acquire separately…Both sides wished that the negotiations should be kept quite secret until they had been either completed or dropped.
Over a month later, and the Partnership announced that the branch in question was Holdrons. The last day of business was to be the 29th January 1949. The day came and went. Holdrons closed, and most of its Partners dispersed throughout the Partnership, carrying happy memories of Holdrons with them wherever they went.