High quality children’s-wear
Daniel Neal and Sons held a nationwide reputation for the supplying of high quality children’s-wear. The seven branches across the UK had departments for boys’ and girls’ clothing, footwear, baby wear, maternity wear, prams and nursery furniture.
Originally started as an adult shoe shop in 1837 by Mr Neal in Edgware Road, it was Mr Neal’s son, Daniel who grew the business across London. Daniel Neal died in 1893 and the business was taken on by his three sons.
Developing the business
In 1911 a further shop was leased in Kensington High Street. Adult shoes were dropped, with the focus children’s footwear and clothing. Three smaller branches were sold, and all efforts were focused in the centre of London to create a children’s department store. A new site was purchased at Portman Square and the business continued to grow, with Daniel Neal Cheltenham opening in 1937 following an agreement to supply uniform for Cheltenham Ladies College. Further branches were opened in Bournemouth (1947), Exeter (1953) and Bristol (1955) and Birmingham (19600. All branches forged connections with local schools for the supply of their uniform.
In February 1963 the Partnership announced its intention to purchase the whole of Daniel Neal and Sons Limited for a sum of just under £120,000.