Bonds of Norwich had slipped comfortably into the 20th Century. Strong family foundations meant an incredibly strong platform on which to trade and operate. When Robert Herne eventually died in 1924, eldest son William immediately filled the void as Chairman.
‘Bonds goods are good goods’.
Throughout this period, Bonds local reputation was healthily growing. It was a store known for its quality and value, with one notable exception. Wife of the founder, Mrs R.H Bond, laid the foundations of a highly successful Millinery Department. The department would become one of the country’s biggest and finest outside of the London West End, and its success paved the way for an all-round upgrading of the store’s other departments, and a store extension down All Saints Green.
Just prior to World War Two, there were more than 30 assistants selling hats and over 20 milliners making them. Over a thousand hats would be sold on a single Saturday!