Post-war Years

Disappearing from the High Street

By Jonathan Blatchford

Providing cup winners

The post-war years were tough indeed for John Pound. Trade was very much undermined by the uncertainties of the post-war world. And of course, the damage to the shop and to Oxford Street hampered progress considerably. One bright moment for the shop occurred in May. The snippet below was recorded in the John Pound yearly review, found in the Gazette of the 30th June 1951.

Photo:Supplying Arsenal Football Club, the FA Cup winners 1949-1950

Supplying Arsenal Football Club, the FA Cup winners 1949-1950

One penny short

By 1958, the Oxford Street property eventually disappeared, having been incorporated into the re-development of the East Island, following the conclusion of the rebuilding of John Lewis Oxford Street. When the leases ran out on the other two John Pound branches on Regent Street and Piccadilly, they were not renewed. John Pound had thus disappeared from the High Street altogether.

 

This page was added by Jonathan Blatchford on 11/08/2014.