Vinall's, Eastbourne

1947-1953

By Jonathan Blatchford

Pre-Partnership

The original owner of Vinall's of Eastbourne was Mr AE Rush, Mayor of Eastbourne from 1938 to 1943. He bought the business in 1919, by which time it had already been established for over 40 years. On the 19th December 1942, the rear of the premises was wrecked by a stick of bombs that fell across adjoining shops. Within four days Vinall’s re-opened on the opposite side of the street. Five weeks later, these premises were wrecked and another move had to be made. On the 19th November 1942, Vinall’s moved back to their original shop.

The Partnership in Eastboune

In the Gazette of the 8th February 1947, the Partnership announced that it had acquired a shop in Eastbourne by the name of Vinall’s. The Partnership warmly welcomed its staff of about thirty, whose average length of service at that time stood at about ten years.

The shop itself was situated on a good site, with a frontage of about 50 feet. The shop sold Piece Goods, Haberdashery, Fashion Accessory, Soft Furnishing, Household Linen and Blankets, all typically John Lewis trade.  Located at 129-131 Terminus Road.

Sale

Vinall’s lasted in the Partnership until 1953, when it was sold as part of the company’s drive to sell on small units which had not proved sufficiently profitable to be retained permanently as members of the group. Vinall’s was simply too small a shop in which Partnership policy could be correctly conducted. Also, the fact that the shop was located in a holiday resort meant that the shop’s sales were highly erratic, and dependent on far too many variants out of their control.

The sale of Vinall’s was completed on the 29th August 1953, and the ship was acquired by Macartney Stewart Limited of Sussex.

This page was added by Jonathan Blatchford on 22/09/2014.
Comments about this page

Many thanks to Stephen Rosenberg for locating the precise location of Vinalls.

By Hannah Raeburn
On 31/05/2016

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.