Conception

By Jonathan Blatchford

Silk Shop Edinburgh...

The year 1940 was a momentous one for the ‘John Lewis Partnership’. 15 new stores were acquired when the Partnership took over the fledging ‘Selfridge Provincial Stores Group’ (SPS), previously owned by flamboyant American business man, Gordon Selfridge. [link?] This expansion gave the partnership almost nationwide coverage. There were however a couple of noticeable exceptions. One of the biggest was a lack of presence in Scotland. This would be quickly rectified after the Silk Shop Limited, Frederick Street, Edinburgh was purchased in 1943.

...becomes John Lewis Edinburgh

#After years of growth, space soon ran out at the shop. An extension of the premises in 1962, that had seen a 48.4% increase in Partner selling space, was swallowed up by customer demand by the late 60’s. This was a true reflection of the popularity of the store, and indicates how much of an Edinburgh institution it had become. The Partnership was left with little choice but to announce that a new department store was to be built in the St James Centre, Edinburgh. This new store would become John Lewis Edinburgh.

Visit the Silk shop Edinburgh page for a more extensive history!

This page was added by Jonathan Blatchford on 18/08/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.